- Whole School Peru
- Whole School French
Modern Foreign Languages
Here at The Urswick School we are passionate about language learning in the MFL department. We encourage our students to become sophisticated, independent global citizens by the time they leave us. We encourage them to interact with native language teachers in a variety of real-life situations using transferable skills. Students will become real communicators as they develop the four language skills of listening, speaking, reading and writing.
We encourage our students to become more culturally aware and thus to widen their horizons in terms of music, dance, literature, art and theatre. The MFL team work towards building the students’ confidence by engaging them in activities which are fun. We aim to promote a genuine love for language learning which will become a tool for life.
We run trips to France and Spain on a regular basis. These trips are very popular and invaluable in giving students the opportunity to enhance their language skills and sample the culture of the country they are visiting. We have developed links with schools in both France and Spain and have enjoyed reciprocal visits to each other’s schools.
Every year we celebrate the European Day of Languages by providing our staff and students with a language-themed continental breakfast. We have been involved in the Arsenal Double Languages Club for several years and our KS3 students are delighted to have the opportunity to develop language through sport.
Students study either French or Spanish. They have lots of fun learning to develop their language skills. They learn to work independently or as a team and benefit from an excellent interactive course.
This year half of the cohort are studying an MFL as part of the Ebacc qualification. Language learning has always been very successful at The Urswick School as reflected in our GCSE results this summer.
- 94% of our French students achieved a Grade A* to C
- 83% of our Spanish students achieved a Grade A* to C
We aim to build on these excellent results and to do even better in the future!
We have a wealth of community languages spoken within our school and students are given the opportunity to achieve an additional GCSE in their mother-tongue.
Key Stage 5: AS/2 Turkish
Turkish speaking community is one of the largest community groups in Hackney. It is important that with a community of this size its language and culture is represented. For this reason we are proud to be offering the Turkish AS and A2 at The Urswick School. This course has been developed in a way to interest and to provide enthusiasm for language learning. It helps students further develop the skills of listening, reading and writing at a level beyond GCSE. They learn about the culture of countries where Turkish is spoken and become able to communicate with people in these countries. The course will run over 2 years with AS and A2.
The structure of the course will be as follows:
Year 1 – AS Turkish:
- Listen and respond to a variety of spoken sources, including authentic sources;
- Read and respond to a variety of written texts, including authentic sources, covering different contexts, registers, styles and genres;
- Adapt their written language appropriately for different situations and purposes;
- Use the language accurately to express facts and ideas, and to present explanations, opinions and information in writing;
- Transfer meaning from English into Turkish;
- Understand and apply the grammatical system and a range of structures as detailed in the as specification;
- Study materials that illustrate aspects of the contemporary society, cultural background and heritage of one or more of the countries or communities where the language is spoken.
Students will be able to demonstrate their language skills in contemporary society, cultural background and heritage of one or more of the countries or communities where the language is spoken. The topic areas for the AS specifications are:
- Aspects of daily life
- Leisure and entertainment sub-topics
- Communication and Media sub-topics
- Education and training sub-topics
Year 2 – A2 Turkish:
In addition to the requirements for the AS units, A Level candidates will be required to:
- Use the language to present viewpoints, develop arguments, analyse and evaluate in writing;
- Transfer meaning from the modern foreign language into english;
- Understand and apply the grammatical system and a range of structures as detailed in the a level specification;
- Study aspects of the contemporary society, cultural background and heritage of one or more of the countries or communities whose language is being studied.
The topic areas for the A2 specifications are:
- Society sub-topics
- The Environment sub-topics
- Science and technology: impact and issues sub-topics
- Culture sub-topics